My recent post on turning twenty-eight got me thinking about a lot of things.
Major goals, shortcomings I need to work on, and the realization that my metabolism no longer allows me to live off of fried food from Red Robin without some serious consequences.
It also got me thinking about the fact that I’ve never been to North Dakota.
I currently live an hour from North Dakota.
Not to mention the fact that the paternal side of my family is exclusively from North Dakota.
In other words, ‘Kota is the new ‘Sota.
In addition to venturing over to the “rough-rider state”, moving to the Smalltown has actually inspired me to try several new midwestern-themed activities. While imagining how I would look in snow shoes and wondering how much tickets to a Twins game cost, it hit me like a ton of cheese curds: I need a Minnesota-themed bucket list!
The only problem is…I hate the phrase “bucket list”. Hate it. With the passion of a thousand plates of lutefisk. I totally get the idea that it’s a list of things you want to do before “kicking the bucket”, but still, buckets just aren’t…well…me.
Naturally, this meant my list needed a new name. I bopped on over to thesaurus.com, and entered the word “bucket” into the search field.
Out of the dozens of results, “flask” seemed to be the most appropriate, although “cauldron” and “carafe” were a close second and third. At the end of the day, I’m just a “flask” type of gal.
(But not in an alcoholics anonymous type of way or anything.)
Katrina’s ‘Sota Style Flask List
1. Visit North Dakota
2. Make a homemade, vegetarian (possibly vegan?) version of tater tot hot dish.
3. Go Ice Fishing.
4. Go out for dinner at a Supper Club.
5. Buy a boat and give it a hilarious/flamboyantly inappropriate name
6. Travel to Wisconsin and eat lots of cheese.
7. Travel to Wisconsin and drink lots of beer.
8. Learn to cross-country ski.
9. Learn (and apply) the official rules of a four-way stop. (Currently I just aggressively plow through without waiting my turn, like the rude city girl that I am.)
10. Perfect the Minnesota accent and then post a video to prove that I’ve mastered it, dontchaknow.
11. Attend some sort of hockey game.
12. Go out for Lutefisk.
13. Catch a Walleye.
14. Travel to Two Harbors, the Minnesota hometown of my maternal grandparents.
15. Meet Chris Humphries.
16. Learn how to golf.
17. Attend the Minnesota Renaissance Festival. Again.
18. Take Scott curling.
19. Conquer my fear of driving in the snow.
20. Go snowmobiling without seriously injuring myself or others.
21. Eat something grotesquely unhealthy at Mickey’s Diner.
22. Take a photo of myself in front of the Mary Tyler Moore statue.
23. Go camping. (I’ve never been!)
At only 23 items long, I realize this flask list is kind of lame. That’s where you come in. Feel free to send me any ‘Sota-inspired suggestions you might have, and I’ll happy add them to the flask list.
And of course, I’ll keep you updated as I complete each task. Because let’s be honest — I’m know you’re all waiting on bated breath to hear what it’s like in North Dakota.