Who doesn’t love peanut butter, right? (I mean…aside from those with deathly peanut allergies.) PB has been a long-time favorite pantry staple of mine for the following reasons:
1. It’s one of the only foods I know that tastes good both in sandwiches and on ice cream.
2. The girls love it. I feed it to them when we run out of “real” dog treats, and then take photos known as “peanut butter action shots” of the hilarious faces they make while trying to smack it down.
3. It gets gum out of your hair without having to cut it. (I’ve had to use it for this purpose more than I’d like to admit.)
4. When I’m sad, it’s nice to grab a copy of Us Weekly and eat giant dollops straight out of the jar. (Cutlery optional.)
5. I once read it’s a great alternative if you run out of shaving cream. Never tried this as it would undoubtedly lead to me licking peanut butter off my shins in the bathtub, and…well, even I have standards.
Just when I thought good ol’ peanut butter couldn’t be any more awesome, I discovered a brand new use for it.
It tones down too spicy chili!
Remember the impromptu batch I made on Tuesday that ended up being hotter than Hades in July? In a last-ditch effort to save the six cans of beans I used, I added a few teaspoons of vinegar and a giant gob of peanut butter to the mix. Boom. Instantly half as spicy.
I’d been Googling ways to fix my chili and had seen the peanut butter trick posted on a couple of different online forums. While initially skeptical about how it would…well…taste, I decided to go for it. Surely, the chili couldn’t get any worse.
Not only did the peanut butter reduce the heat to a manageable level, it added a rich, nutty flavor to my recipe that actually improved it. I’m not sure how to explain it–it didn’t actually taste like there was peanut butter in the chili, but it added a new depth of flavor to each bite.
Peanut butter, you’ve done it again. Now if only it was socially acceptable to carry a jar of you around in my purse for on-the-go finger dipping.
(Don’t act like you’ve never thought about it.)