On Friday, I had the pleasure of watching Mr. Justin Timberlake–and his swiveling hips of hypnotic sex appeal–take the Fargodome by storm.
I still can’t believe I just typed that sentence. Never in a million years did I think that at age 29, I would be attending at JT concert in…gulp…North Dakota. I always pictured myself living in some swanky Seattle condo, catching an indie band at The Tractor while sipping on an ironically hip can of PBR.
Life is just full of surprises, isn’t it? And to be perfectly honest, I’ll take Justin and a can of Mike’s over indie bands and hipster beer any day of the week. (No offense, Seattle.)
If that doesn’t cement my status as a Midwestern woman, I don’t know what does.
Still think I’m crazy for choosing Mr. Jessica Biel over Bright Eyes? The following list from my brush with N’Sync royalty might just be enough to convince you of my sanity.
Top 20 Moments of the 20/20 Experience
20. Dinner at Wasabi - Believe it or not, it is possible to find really good sushi in North Dakota.
19.Doing my hair all by myself, and actually having it turn out somewhat like my inspiration photo.
18. Ordering three glasses of wine at dinner - and not feeling even slightly guilty about it. (Thank you K&K, for not judging me.)
17. Wearing my Rent the Runway Dress - By complete and total accident, the print ended up looking very similar to Justin’s 20/20 album cover. I got tons of compliments and felt totally fabulous. Will definitely be “borrowing” from them again.
16. Wearing my new Sam Edelman heels. With a sprained ankle. Luckily, I experienced an orthopedic miracle and didn’t have a single ankle issue. Sure, my feet were killing me by the end of the night…but that’s the price of trying to be six feet tall.
15. Walking into the Fargodome sans coat. Did I mention it was -4 degrees? And that we were in sky-high heels? Us Midwestern gals are pretty hard-core.
14. Remembering there would be a “merch” table. Oh, how I love me some concert merch. “They better have panties!” I exclaimed as we excitedly approached the table of JT gear.
13. Realizing the merch table did in fact have panties! (Technically, they were boy shorts. Whatever.)
13. Walking away from the merch table without sed panties. Willpower for the win! (Although I did end up with a pretty sweet crop top.)
12. Discovering glasses of wine were only six dollars. Six dollars? At a concert venue?! Another benefit of living in the uber-affordable “flyover states”.
11. Graduating from red wine to Mike’s Hard Lemonade. “Whoa. Were they out of wine?” Kaitlin asked. “Nope,” I admitted sheepishly, “This was my first choice.” (Again, thank you to my friends for not judging me.)
10. Realizing the concert wasn’t sold out. We were able to sneak four sections over and nab way better seats. All the better for seeing those swoon-worthy hip gyrations!
9. The moment Justin took the stage. I instantly reverted to my fifteen-year-old, squealing self. (Just with a 40-ounce bottle of Mike’s in my hand this time.)
8. Hearing Justin mistakenly refer to us as South Dakota. Hi-freaking-larious. He quickly made up for this by proclaiming “It’s really f*$%#@* cold here!” Yes, Justin. Yes it is. (Never have I felt so validated!)
7. Realizing that if I left Scott for Justin, he could have Jessica Biel, which means he’d be totally okay with it.
6. JT singing Michael Jackson’s “Human Nature“. Pure goosebumps.
5. People watching. Let’s just say some interesting folk came out of the woodwork for this musical spectacular. Special thanks to the couple a few rows in front of us who insisted on having sex with their clothes on through the entire show.
4. Justin’s hair. While I could tell homeboy was overdue for a blowout, to behold that ‘do in person is truly a thing of wonder.
3. Pure talent. He can dance. He can sing. He can talk to the crowd without sounding like a pompous Hollywood jackhole. He can thrust his hips and play acoustic guitar at the same time! Magnificent.
2. Friends. There’s nothing better than experiencing the concert of a lifetime with two fabulously dressed divas who still like you even when you spill Mike’s all over their merch bags. (Sorry, girls.)
1. McDonalds at 1:00 am. Did you know they recently added a buffalo chicken sandwich to their dollar menu?
Those 400 calories of deliciousness might have been even better than JT’s live performance of “Mirrors”.
Yup. Totally went there.